Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Avoiding the CPU consumption of ETDCtrl.exe

Recently I bought ASUS Zenbook UX31E, which is a good-looking Ultrabook with the 1600x900 display, and I like it.

However, I had one problem that ETDCtrl.exe, which is software to control the touchpad, sometimes remains at 25% CPU usage.  It can be disabled using msconfig, but without ETDCtrl.exe, the touchpad configuration is reverted to default values when resuming from sleep, which means you can't disable tapping.  I hate tapping because it's annoying when typing.

So I wrote ETDCtrlKiller to automatically start ETDCtrl.exe and terminate it one minute later so that it doesn't spend CPU.  You can download it at the Downloads page, but use it AT YOUR OWN RISK!



5 comments:

MarMarAba said...

Thank you Shugo!

The f***ing ETDCtrl was like a headache for me, and my laptop looked like a stove.

For the moment your app works like a charm, I will give you feedback if I found any bug.

Thanks again!!!

Itchy said...

I used to get ETDCtrl going mad but then I installed a prog called startmenuX and now its that prog that goes to 27% every so often. I just have to close and restart it when it does. Therefore there is some other problem causing these issues

Acer laptop with win8

Flo said...

Thank you, I also suffered from the ELAN Touchpad CPU hog problem in combination with VirtualBox (as many others do according to VirtualBox Ticket #11375).
As long as neither ELAN nor VirtualBox acknowledges this problem your tool is a life saver ;-)

vv said...

https://www.virustotal.com/ro/file/2c43f2d79ec4c986a2ab48a574c7fd4a558f6a9f0ce158eca5b74a9bf0fb387c/analysis/

no|imagination said...

Great! Simple and effective. Thanks a lot for this :)